How this works for
He had sat there for the longest time totally confused. He had always listened to everyone’s conversations since he was able to understand what conversation was. But, he had been listening to them when they were not talking aloud, but thinking the thoughts. It hadn’t dawned on him till then that what he was doing might be wrong and others couldn’t do it. Tell then.
Unlike some all
What he did have to do was learn to shut out those thoughts. He called it closing the doors in his mind when he got older. In his teens he learned that he could hide behind those doors when his friend talked (projected) with him through thoughts. Together the two boys realized what they could do was something they didn’t want discovered. Both boys spent a great deal of time studying what was written about telepathy, noting that most discounted it, even in their day and age, how some touted it in so-called magic type shows for public entertainment, and then the other cases that were alluded to and all the things some ‘special’ people were purported to do with just the use of their minds. In many ways it was still considered not worth studying hence many of the universities had shut down their laboratories in the 2000’s putting their resources in the absolutes.
Both he and Scott decided they were nowhere in the class of the latter, yet they knew what they did was real and could be useful or even harmful. They didn’t doubt themselves, even though theystill heard that in many places that science did say that humans were still only using ten percent of their brain. Trent didn't agree with those old theories or stories. He did believe that man was capable to more then they did, but had a tendency to put themselves in a box, doubting what was considered different and not the so-called norm.
Weaknesses: The temptation to trespass into another mind is there at times. Especially when the professors are pulled into special meetings, behind locked doors.
Summary of Trent's abilities, things that work and don't:
- Trent finds it easier to access the thoughts of close acquaintances than strangers.
- The more he uses his talent, the more proficient he is likely to become, but to date he has only really used it to communicate with his friend and to tap in on family or teachers.
- To hear someone's thoughts, he has to focus on them specifically, as otherwise when he drops his guard he just gets a babble of sound.
- It is potentially possible for him to hear ‘voices’ of the those no longer around that have been through a horrifying experience. This may seem like an incessant buzzing in his head.
- It is potentially possible for others to block him from reading their thoughts.
- There does not appear to be a physical or mental price to his using his talent (but he's not really tested that to the fullest at this stage yet).
- He may struggle to use his talent in a sealed room or against a more skilled practioner.
- If he doesn't use his talent at all, he may lose it completely.
His parents were professors at the university. As a child he held back from letting his parents be aware of what he could do. Though, at times when he wasn’t careful, or just to young to know better they did look askance at him and had considered having him tested.
The testing never occurred. Both parents came to him, when he was eight years old and told him they were being transferred to a special university and that he would be staying in their home with his aunt as his guardian. She was just one of the ‘normal’ humans in the family as he dubbed them.
Even at that age
Then his best friend disappeared. They were both twelve at the time. Both wise in what in they hid. Both rebels or throw backs to the old ways…believing that no one should control them or say they were different, nor did they wish to be guinea pigs. What hurt the most was
His bent is or was on becoming a historian, not a teacher. His researches lead him to the discovery of the Omega Society in old books and documents that have been encoded in the old computer systems that are now outdated but he has learned that much can be gleaned from them. He has spent all his time researching, digging and ‘listening’. There were only the briefest mentioning of the group, especially after the 1800’s. In his research he found innuendos about technology that had been discovered, places that seemed to be off world. People who were special. The hint of places where one could walk to that other place(s).
He would also like to find what happen to his friend. His friend had been just as rebellious as Trent, but too late in hiding his adeptness to twisting the numbers in mathematics as he liked to call it and Trent began to consider that maybe the professors had somehow stumbled on Scott’s ‘other’ ability also.
Uses the following people's images for their avatars: